- By Etnia Coffee - In
Coffee-Rubbed Grilled Steak with Espresso BBQ Sauce
For the Coffee Rub:
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste for spiciness)
For the Espresso BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee, cooled
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Steak:
- 4 boneless ribeye or New York strip steaks (about 1 inch thick)
- Olive oil for brushing
1. Prepare the Coffee Rub: In a small bowl, combine the finely ground coffee, brown sugar, smoked paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to create the coffee rub.
2. Season the Steaks: Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and generously rub the coffee rub mixture onto both sides of each steak. Ensure the rub adheres well to the meat. Let the seasoned steaks sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate.
3. Preheat the Grill: Preheat your grill to high heat (around 450-500°F or 232-260°C).
4. Grill the Steaks: Brush the grates of the grill with olive oil to prevent sticking. Place the coffee-rubbed steaks on the hot grill and cook to your preferred doneness, typically 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare, depending on the thickness of the steak. Adjust the cooking time for your desired level of doneness.
5. Make the Espresso BBQ Sauce: While the steaks are grilling, prepare the espresso BBQ sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine ketchup, brewed espresso (or strong coffee), brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly.
6. Serve: Once the steaks are done, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes. Slice the steaks, drizzle with the Espresso BBQ Sauce, and serve hot. Optionally, you can serve it with your favorite sides like roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes.
This Coffee-Rubbed Grilled Steak with Espresso BBQ Sauce is a delightful fusion of coffee’s bold flavors and grilled goodness, sure to impress your guests and elevate your culinary experience. Enjoy!